Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Nursery







We have been spending a lot of time working on the nursery the past 10 days. April came up with the design a few weeks ago and although we aren't quite finished yet, I think it is turning out fabulous. There have been many hours of hard work put into it but I hope that Henley loves it.

I so, so wish I had thought to take a "before" picture of the room when we started. April's old college furniture was in the room and it had blueish gray paint on the walls. It is quite different now. :-)

Two weekends ago, I primed all the walls and started working on the chair rail. It was a long and cumbersome process because I had to hand cope the end of each of the corner pieces so they would fit nicely together. It probably took me twice as long as it should have since I had never done it before. I finally got all my corners fitted nicely and was ready to attach them to the wall. I was getting excited and proud of myself. I was using the nail gun to attach my last piece of chair rail. I had two nails left and then I was done. Done! But noooooo...I shot the next to last nail and then, bam, all I heard was this loud shhhhing noise. I freaked out because all I could think was water. April ran upstairs while I was trying to get some tools and said that the drywall was getting really cold and damp. I ran downstairs and shut off the main water line and then start cutting a hole in the drywall so I could start catching whatever water I could. Needless to say it wasn't water. I hit the freon pipe to the upstairs AC unit. The gas was causing condensation to build up on the drywall. Stupid studfinder! Freon pipe does not equal wall stud. I was soooo frustrated. A few hundred dollars and a 1 foot square hole in the drywall later, I had a fixed pipe and a nice hole. It was a mess but not as bad as it could have been.

My Mom and Dad (Nana and Papa) came in town for the long weekend on Friday and I put them to work. Dad and I started on the wall repairs immediately. We had the hole pretty well patched up by Friday night. Dad and I spent Saturday painting the top part of the walls green above the chair rail. We cut all the molding pieces for the lower half of the room and put 2 coats of the white paint on the lower walls. We also painted all the molding pieces so they would be ready for installation the next day. Mom and April went shopping for baby clothes and had a blast at the different outlets and boutiques. Sunday morning I put another coat of green paint on before church. We then spent the remainder of Sunday installing the molding, filling nail holes, sanding, and doing paint touch ups. Monday morning we moved all the baby furniture to the room and setup the crib.

We got so much done this past weekend. We do have some little touches and decorative pieces to add but I think the room looks awesome so far. We thank Nana and Papa so much for all their help. We could not have done it all without you and we had so much fun while you were here. Thank you, thank you.

Post a comment and let us know what you think.

4 comments:

Nana said...

We were thrilled to help! It looks great finished! I love it without the blue paint tape :) Can't wait for Henley to try out the crib! Nana

Unknown said...

Oh my goodness I LOVE it!!!!!!! It looks SO different! Henley is a lucky little girl to have such a pretty room! :o) I can't wait to see ya'll! I love you! :-***

the boyd girls.... said...

ok, if nana (aka aunt bb) can type a comment here...she better get to crackin on ours! :) ha love everything .... can wait to see it all done! I will paint something special for the precious new addition! :)

Amanda and Justin said...

LOVE IT...ape should maybe go into interior decorating in her spare time ;) Can't wait to see it in person next weekend! Love you all.